- The guides should take part in training sessions (held by the organizing committee) in order to:
- become familiar with their duties and rights,
- know how to handle different situations (e.g., if someone is lost, ill or has lost their property).
- The guides should cooperate fully with their supervisors.
- The guides should be a good performer and have interaction skills. The most important feature is to get along with different kinds of people.
- The guides should know about different cultures and cultural habits. It is also important that the guides know their own culture and how other people feel about it.
- The guides should dress appropriately; be patient; be prepared that things can go wrong; be friendly; be polite; and be calm and positive.
- Wear the IOI T-shirts and have IOI signs (or badges) so that they can be easily recognized in the crowd.
- Welcome and guide the IOI participants at the airport.
- Help the participants to find the buses.
- Share information about the registration practices, hotels, the culture of the host country etc., while traveling by bus to the IOI hotels.
- Introduce the environment to the delegation, for example the venue, the hotel, the cafeteria, the city, where they can change money, about the cultural issues in the host country, etc.
- Make sure that everybody is in the right place at the right time.
- Learn the names of the members in their group.
- Attend the excursions and spend leisure time with the participants, and in practice take good care of the contestants.
- Forward messages and information to the delegation, if there appear any changes in the program(s).
- Make sure that no one is missing before leaving towards the IOI venue.
- Count the participants at the excursions and make sure that everyone comes back to the IOI area from the excursion.
- Make sure that everyone is in the right bus towards the right airport or other destinations.
Please do not close this page until you see the confirmation message.